Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Macaulay - The source of our identity crisis

Here you might find interesting to read the reasons Macaulay gave for choosing English as the medium of instruction for Indians. Do read to know about his justifications.

 

Macaulay's minute

I personally think what he knew was much less than he is supposed to know. The following statements are enough to show us his knowledge and his great estimation capability.

I have no knowledge of either Sanscrit or Arabic. But I have done what I could to form a correct estimate of their value. I have read translations of the most celebrated Arabic and Sanscrit works. I have conversed, both here and at home, with men distinguished by their proficiency in the Eastern tongues. I am quite ready to take the oriental learning at the valuation of the orientalists themselves. I have never found one among them who could deny that a single shelf of a good European library was worth the whole native literature of India and Arabia..”

He was at this evil best when he said the following.

It is, I believe, no exaggeration to say that all the historical information which has been collected from all the books written in the Sanscrit language is less valuable than what may be found in the most paltry abridgments used at preparatory schools in England.”.

We are now happy to learn in the system designed by such a ‘scholar’.

 

regards,

Ramesh

 

"There is no use in learning, if we do not worship the good feet of the one who is in the form of pure knowledge."

- Thiruvalluvar

 

No comments:

Post a Comment