Friday, April 15, 2005

Opening my heart in Tamil New Year

Belated wishes to one and all in this new Tamil Year. May you find the light in you to radiate all around.

If you've already found the light, keep radiating, ofcourse :)

I am back home. Nice little breaks these are. Helps one to refocus on things that are really of priority. It reminds me of how privilleged I am to be in a job. I often find me passionate about doing something for my culture and heritage. I find this to be a hindrance to my professional growth. I have to sacrifice any one to excel in another. All my ranting, I am not courageous enough till now to give up my career. God permitting I would be doing a nose dive into my passions, in which I believe I can contribute something, years later may be after I evaluate my passions. Till the time comes, ye my mind, don't lose focus. But I can do some things without compromising my career. I would try my best to do such things.

One such in my mind is a native compiler/programming language. I am evaluating the prospects of it. I've read that Sankrit is the best equipped natural language to process. Since I don't know Sanskrit, which I am very willing to learn, I would be trying it later.

The only language at my disposal is good old Tamizh ('Thaen vandhu paayudhu kaadhinilae'). I could not find a solid refernce to any Tamil compilers. Even Tamil fonts and keyboards have not been standardized. There is a lot of work to be done. I'm thinking of reading Aho and Ullman. May be this time I can understand it better, than my college days, sinceI have a cause to live upon.

BTW, I wrote one introductory article in Tamil about operating systems 2 years back (used the word 'Iyangu thalam' for OS). It came on nicely before I halted at some point. I could not find any suitable word for explaining the concept 'Portable'. I hate to refer to external sources when I write articles. So, I didn't referred any online communities, websites. I've shelved the article since then. Perhaps this is my curse, I don't do what it takes. I can rectify it this time.

Coming to the compilers, I better do a ground work, a feasibility study, before leaping into this. Atleast I can translate 'C' commands into Tamil. This way a tamil program could be constructed by using Tamil 'C' commands. Then this program can be translated to the original 'C' program by a translator. Then use the 'C' compiler to generate object program.

No comments:

Post a Comment