Friday, June 11, 2004

Way to learn religion - Swami Vivekananda

You will find many persons in this world who will say: 'I wanted to become religious, I wanted to realize these things, but I have not been able, so I do not believe anything.' Even among the educated, you will find these. Large numbers of people will tell you, 'I have tried to be religious all my life, but there is nothing in it.' At the same time, you will find this phenomenon: Suppose a man is a chemist, a great scientific man. he comes and tells you this. If you say to him, 'I do not believe in anything about chemistry, because I have all my life tried to be a chemist, and do not find anything in it', he will ask, 'When did you try?' 'When I went to bed, I repeated, "O chemistry, come to me", and it never came.' That is the very same thing. The chemist laughs at you and says: ‘Oh that is not the way. Why did you not go to the laboratory and get all the acids and alkalis and burn your hands from time to time? That alone would have taught you.' Do you take the same trouble with religion? Every science has its own method of learning, and religion is to be learned the same way.    

 

 

1 comment: